Rapid Deployment of Surveillance Camera System Across Large Public Transit Authority
A major City’s transit authority committed to increasing their surveillance camera coverage to better impact the transit system’s security, with a Mayoral mandate of doubling their camera count on train lines by year-end. The transit authority’s team of over 11 contracted vendors – ranging from local electrical engineers to national product manufacturers – differed in their experience, system knowledge, and capacity to deploy the 1,500 needed cameras in the time required. Additionally, the Transit Authority’s internal team on the project was significantly challenged by staff and resource constraints, exacerbated by key leadership changes which included a newly appointed CIO.
The Transit Authority’s executive management and the Mayor’s Office mandated rapid deployment of the additional surveillance cameras, without any disruption to the 78 stations targeted for installations. 1,500 surveillance cameras were to be installed, including conduit and cabling and connection with the Transit Authority’s internal network infrastructure.
- Overall Project Management
- Re-engineered and maintained a comprehensive Project Plan
- Scheduled Project resources to identify upcoming issues
- Drove key meetings with Transit executives, internal staff and sub-contractors to improve coordination
- Vendor management across the entire Project Team – in excess of 100 personnel and 16 deployment teams – including orientation for new vendors with the Transit Authority work processes
- SDI managed and coordinated Safety and Security/Flagger Infrastructure – over 200 flagger man days per week
- Hired Construction Managers to review and support work in the field
- Prepared effective and consistent reporting to multiple stakeholder groups, including Transit Authority executive and working teams, sub-contractors and the Mayor’s Office
- Assisted the internal Transit Authority team in the most efficient allocation of their time and resources to support the installation teams
Under SDI’s direction, the project was completed ahead of schedule exceeding the Transit Authority’s deployment expectations. SDI oversaw the upgrade of over 1,500 surveillance cameras in 78 passenger stations.